(A scene. The stage is black and remains black.)
Me
Hey
Haven’t seen you in a while.
You
No, you haven’t.
Me
How you been?
You
Busy.
Me
That’s good.
You
It is.
(Pause)
Me
When are you moving?
You
Soon.
Me
So, you’re not sure when?
You
I know when.
(Beat, long pause)
What do you want?
Me
What do you mean?
You
You know what I mean. You said you wanted dinner, you said you needed to see me one more time...for what? What do you want?
Me
I just wanted to talk.
You
What do you really want?
Me
Answers.
You
You know the answers to every question you have. You know I don’t love you, you know I don’t care, not even in the slightest bit, about you!
Me
I didn’t know that
You
Yes you did. You just never heard it.
Me
Until now.
You
So what do you want? It’s almost midnight and I have plans tomorrow.
(Beat)
Me
How was it for you?
You
Easier than you think.
Me
Who are you?
You
Somebody who took something away from you. Somebody who will never give it back, no matter how many questions you ask...
Me
Why not?
You
Because you don’t need it.
Me
But I do!
You
No, you want it. That’s what you want, you want it all back. You want lies, you want hurt, you want somebody to cry about. But I’m leaving...for good.
Me
Did You ever love Me?
You
(Laughing, in a hysterical matter)
Who cares!? Why does it matter?
Me
Because I’m here with you right now, and I want to know...even though I already know what you’re going to say...maybe... you could lie to me and tell me something I’ve wanted to believe for-(Me’s taken aback by what Me is saying.) So please? Please. Tell me, lie to me...give me something back.
You
All I ever wanted was you.
Me
Take me.
You
I’ve already taken you.
Me
No you took a part of me. Take the rest, it can’t survive without that tiny piece, oh! That piece is so crucial....take the rest of me.
You
No
Me
TAKE IT! FUCK YOU! TAKE IT!
You
I love you.
Me
Keep going.
You
I need you!
Me
Try harder. Take me! Take the rest of it!
You
I want to wrap my arms around you! See the stars! Make love to you!
Me
But what about the clouds? The stars may not shine.
You
I want to wake up next to you and see your eyes, then just lie in bed all day, never ever leave you.
Me
Can we run away?
(Beat, the dream begins to break.)
You
I can’t do this anymore.
Me
Why not?
You
I’m dying.
Me
I know. And what else?
You
I love someone, someone who will never love me back.
Me
Just like me.
You
Will you hold me?
Me
As long as you don’t let go.
You
I have to eventually.
Me
Then let me let go...at least before you do.
You
I owe you that.
Me
You owe me nothing.
You
Let go.
Me
Not yet.
You
The sun is rising. Midnight’s ended early.
Me
A little while longer.
You
I’m slipping.
Me
No, I have you.
You
The night’s over! LET ME GO!
Me
Give it back.
You
Let me go!
Me
Give...
You
It’s gone. I don’t know where it went. I’m sorry.
Me
I’ll never dream again will I.
You
You will, but only lies.
Me
Good lies?
You
Goodbyes.
(Beat)
Me
Goodbye.
Friday, March 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment